Welcome to my blog

This is the story of my journey growing up in a family with all brothers who saw every raised platform as a stage. These guys kept me sane in the most difficult times in life. We had a bond that forms when children band together to make the best of a difficult situations. I loved them and they loved me. Together we pushed through the hardship and made it into adulthood, some more broken than others, but made it just the same with the help of God.

Friday, May 28, 2010

Jesus


Yesterday I received an invitation to a celebration at Saint Mary's Home for Children( when I was there it was called Saint Mary's Home for Girls).The diocese of Savannah is shutting down the place because of a lack of funds and other reasons. I am definitely going to this event. This is the place of the birth of my faith. I am sad to see it go, but I know God will always provide a way for children to learn about him. Saint Mary's was where I encountered God in the person of Jesus. I learned to love God through my relationship with Jesus.
People are Jesus with skin on, as I like to say. Many very good people crossed my path because of Saint Mary's. Were all the nuns good? NO. Was I happy all the time I was there? NO. Good, as well as bad things happen in our lives. This is true of all of us, but the good nuns and good things that did affect my life far out way the bad. Before I gave my life to Jesus all I could focus on was the bad, sad things.I tried to put it behind me, but my past was always affecting my present. I was unable to see or remember so many of the good people or things. When I gave up my life in favor of the life Jesus was calling me to, it was like a curtain parted. Truly, it was like a curtain parted, and I started seeing things in a different light; I started remembering the good things too.
I know all of the people who might read this don't believe in Jesus, but I have to say one thing about this. Jesus said He was the Son of God. Either he was a liar, or he was insane... or he is the Son of God. For a lying nut case he has had more impact on the world than any other man who ever lived. His teachings do not sound like the ravings of a crazy man nor does it make any sense to me why he would allow himself to be tortured and murdered for nothing. I know some of you don't believe in the Bible but I do.
It is true the Bible(Old Testament)has mistakes as far as the time lines are concerned. Maybe a few other types of errors, but that does not prove it isn't the inspired love letter from God that it is. All of the books were not written down at the same time, but are a collection of writings. The earliest written recording of the Old Testament was 3,500 yrs ago(1400BC). Moses wrote the first 5 books. Other writers followed until 450BC. That last book of the Old Testament is the Book of Malachi.
The Old Testament is primarily a recording of how God invaded human history. Some of it is factual stuff and some allegory, but all is significant. I don't pay attention to the unimportant error but ask myself, "What is the spiritual truth God is trying to reveal to me?" The beauty of the psalms and the common sense wisdom found in the OT are beneficial for me today.
The New Testament was written mostly by Saint Paul sometimes between 17-40 yrs after Jesus rose from the dead. Saint Mark wrote the first Gospel sometime between 17-34 yrs after Jesus rose from the dead. Greek was language of the New Testament. Originally Hebrew and Aramaic was the language of the OT. 300 yrs before Christ the Jewish leaders had all of their scripture translated into Greek because most of the Jews only spoke Greek.( In case some of you are wondering how I know this stuff I taught the Old and New Testament in our high school for 5 yrs. But don't take my word. Look it up for yourselves)
So where am I going with this? Just wanted you to know where I am coming from. I was introduced to Jesus at Saint Mary's. I believe the Bible is his personal letter to me. I don't pretend to know all of it, but I love reading it. I feel I come closer to knowing Jesus through it.It is hard to love what you don't know. I think I have come closer to knowing what kind of person Jesus is by reading about him in the Gospels. Because I believe he is God I feel I know more about the mind of God and what He wants from me.
I don't believe Jesus was a liar or insane. I believe he is God. I pray you will too.

No comments: