Welcome to my blog

This is the story of my journey growing up in a family with all brothers who saw every raised platform as a stage. These guys kept me sane in the most difficult times in life. We had a bond that forms when children band together to make the best of a difficult situations. I loved them and they loved me. Together we pushed through the hardship and made it into adulthood, some more broken than others, but made it just the same with the help of God.

Friday, January 29, 2010

The orphanage

I have so many stories of this time I don't know where to begin. My brothers have their own stories. I wish Bobby and Jerry had written down some of their experiences before they died.They would be sooooo funny. I know Larry has a bunch too. Because I have always been so intense I often failed to find the humor in this period of my life. Bobby, on the other had, could always make a sad story funny.
In 1951 or 52 all of us were sent to Catholic orphanages. The boys went to Saint Joseph's in Washington,Ga., and I went to Saint Mary's in Savannah, Ga. That first year I was there was very traumatic.I had never been taught anything about God that I could remember, and never seen a nun in full habit. They scared the heck out of me!
I was use to running free, and was pretty much a happy child despite the problems at home. I had my brothers and they were my everything. I can honestly say I loved them more than our parents. At least that's how I remember feeling.My brothers were my friends, my comfort, my security. I loved them and felt they loved me. I could depend on them. To be separated from them was devastating to me. The memory that shines through all of the haze of time is the day I realized I was alone. They were not there, mom and dad were not there, and I did not know when I would ever see them again. Looking back I can see that I was very depressed. I isolated myself from the other girls. I remember lying down on the cement floor of the gazebo which was on the play ground of Saint Mary's. I rolled up in a fetal position and slept. I can tell you which side of the gazebo I was on, what the weather was like, how the sun shone through the sides of the gazebo, and how I felt. So sad, so lonely. If I had just had my brothers I would have been all right, maybe.
On this one particular day a girl named Theresa ask me to play with her. She had problems even I could discern. No one wanted to play with this girl. She was a lonely child as well, but what did I care! I had my own wounds to lick. Anyway, Theresa begged and pleaded with me to play with her. I said "NO!! Leave me alone.Go away!!" She said if I didn't play with her she would tell the nuns."Big deal", I thought. So off she went to tattletale on me. Just for good measure I yelled at her, calling her a big baby and picked up a rock and threw it. I was, of course, a very good shot. After all I had brothers. The rock found it's mark on the back of her head. The shock that hit her was dazzling! WOW, I did it! Of course Theresa started crying, and the blood started flowing,and she began running for her life. I meant to hurt her.I succeeded and was proud of it. Now she would never bother me again and it was a lesson for all of the other girls. DON'T MESS WITH JOANNE,and she won't mess with you....so I thought.
After awhile one of the older girls came to get me to take me to the nun. She may have spanked me I don't remember, but she gave me a far more severe punishment...play with Theresa the rest of the day. You've got to be kidding! Theresa kept gloating and bossing me around. I thought I would kill her. Then, I had a fabulous idea!All of the girls were given a nickle on week days to buy candy when the "candy nun" came out to the play ground. I made a deal with Theresa. I paid her off. She got my nickle and I was free of her.
I know this sounds like a sad story but I have no sadness in me as I tell it. I can see myself back then; I remember the sadness. But today I feel only happiness for the healing I have received from God. I was an industrious little girl and eventually made the adjustments needed to survive. I am a survivor and God used the time I was at Saint Mary's to protect me and teach me many things. I am grateful.

No comments: