Welcome to my blog

This is the story of my journey growing up in a family with all brothers who saw every raised platform as a stage. These guys kept me sane in the most difficult times in life. We had a bond that forms when children band together to make the best of a difficult situations. I loved them and they loved me. Together we pushed through the hardship and made it into adulthood, some more broken than others, but made it just the same with the help of God.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

The best darn dirt in town!

"I love dirt, don't you Jerry?" Jerry and I were the only ones who use to eat dirt.Not any kind of dirt, mind you. Oh, no, it had to have certain qualities to it.
We liked the fine grain, grey, silky variety. we tasted all kinds just to find the "best dirt" in the neighborhood. Let's see, we lived in Golf Park at the time so we were about 5 and 7 yrs old. Maybe slightly younger.I clearly remember the day I found a gold mind of the grey silky stuff we craved. Jerry must have been at school, but I waited until he came home to tell him of my great discovery. How excited I was to find this dirt. Finally he showed up and together we rushed to the spot where our dirt was."Wait til you taste it. It's the best dirt in town!" And it was.
Larry and Jerry must have gotten skates for Christmas that same year. I did too. The only problem was I didn't know how to skate.The boys were having so much fun on their own they didn't want to help me put mine on, and show me how to stand up. I begged, probably cried, and nagged. At last good ole tender-hearted Jerry gave in and said he would show me how it was done. Besides having great dirt Golf Park was hilly. Jerry took me to his favorite spot at the top of the steepest hill, strapped on my skates, stood me up and gave a firm shove.That's how I learned to skate. I actually don't remember skating much after that, but I do remember how to stop on a down hill sidewalk on metal skates strapped to my feet on a cold January day. OUCH!

No comments: