Welcome to my blog

This is the story of my journey growing up in a family with all brothers who saw every raised platform as a stage. These guys kept me sane in the most difficult times in life. We had a bond that forms when children band together to make the best of a difficult situations. I loved them and they loved me. Together we pushed through the hardship and made it into adulthood, some more broken than others, but made it just the same with the help of God.

Friday, March 5, 2010

A good blend



Like all kids, we were expected to do chores. Jerry, Bobby and I usually washed,dried, and put away the dishes after dinner. We really didn't mind doing this because we used it as a "Jam" session. It could take us up to 1 1/2 hrs to clean up after dinner because we would get so caught up in our singing. We would close the kitchen door and go at it. I have wonderful memories of this time. I was still feeling such a part of their lives. We not only blended well musically but emotionally. They were my closest friends during this phase of my life. I believe Larry had already left for the Air Force so it was just the three of us older kids who clung together to make the very best we could out of a difficult life. There were many hardships during this time. Bobby, as always, was the one who kept us laughing when things were impossible. He could take something so sad or pathetic and turn it into a comedy. He really made life livable. Jerry, on the other hand, was gentle and caring. His gift of music was a huge distraction from the dysfunctional life we were living. Together they were a great team both musically and comically. I was just sort of there. I probably brought common sense and balance to the mix. I do know that Jerry took on the role of "Father" and I of "Mother" when all hell broke loose which it did often in those days. Looking back I can see that a lot of things were coming to a head. An analogy of it all would be, many streams flowing down hill in a great rush, and exploding into one big river.
I don't know if I want to share some of the problems because they really aren't as important as the beautiful relationship we had or the way we were able to pull together as children. I think Chris and Rusty were there too but they were younger. We just wanted to help them and ourselves when we could. It seems Rusty stayed at Aunt Georgia Mae's a lot or maybe they were still at the orphanage then. I'm just not sure. I know that in the summer time we were all together as the boys came home in the summer. Anyway, Jerry, Bobby and I were in high school so that means the little boys were 6 and 11 yrs old. Little Joe wasn't born yet.
No matter how things were going at home, Grandmother was still "Grandmother." If she wasn't throwing all of our kitchen utensils, plate and glasses away or pouting in the livingroom or pulling the telephone wire out of the wall she was putting Jerry in his place. One night at the dinner table she told Jerry he could not go out with his friends. Jerry, being unable to shut his mouth said," I'll go where I want, when I want, and with whom I want." Jerry was a senior at Aquinas ( I may have my time line off here) by this time. He played football,and was tall and muscular. Imagine, if you will, two bulls staring one another down. We all froze. We knew something big was coming. Grandmother calmly got up from the table, slowly walked around to where Jerry was sitting. Jerry was leaned way back in his chair balancing it on two legs. He had his arms raised, elbows bent and two hands locked behind his head, and looking pretty smug. Grandmother came around the table stood in front of Jerry and knocked the living hell out of him! Jerry fell over backwards landing on the floor, 6'1" of arms and legs going in all directions. Grandmother leaned over him her finger pointing down at him and said, "You will do what I want, when I want and as long as I want" and walked out of the kitchen.There was a moment of silence and then we all burst out laughing. It was great!

No comments: