Welcome to my blog

This is the story of my journey growing up in a family with all brothers who saw every raised platform as a stage. These guys kept me sane in the most difficult times in life. We had a bond that forms when children band together to make the best of a difficult situations. I loved them and they loved me. Together we pushed through the hardship and made it into adulthood, some more broken than others, but made it just the same with the help of God.

Friday, February 12, 2010

The first time I saw snow

It is snowing today which is so unusual for Georgia. I remember the first time I saw snow.In 1950 we moved from Augusta,Georgia to Lafayette,Indiana. They did not like southerners there and grits were nowhere to be found. Grandmother use to send us grits from Augusta and mom bought turnip greens from the farmers. They fed the greens to the pigs and sold the turnips at the farmers market. I can remember Larry and Jerry coming home from school with a line of kids chasing them to fight just because they were from the south. The boys wore blue pants and white shirts, the typical Catholic school uniform. Bright red blood on a white shirt still stands out in my mind. Even the neighbors who lived in the duplex next to us hated us....just because we were southern. I guess they were still fighting the war. I can remember one of the boys next store throwing rocks at me everytime I tried to go outside. I told him when my brothers come home they were going to beat him up. I did tell my brothers and Jerry punched him out. Because Jerry and Larry were older they were allowed to go to the iced over pond and skate. Mom never allowed me to go, and I usually cried when they would take off with our cousins Betty or Mary Jo.
The first morning it snowed after we had arrived from Georgia one of the boys said " look, it's snowing!" I was enthralled! It was like a magical land had appeared overnight. As usual we were poor as dirt so we did not have a sled.
I don't know whose idea it was, but we used the top of a wringer washing machine to slide down the hill in the back of our house. Man, that thing could fly! Our mother also made ice cream from the snow. I can see her now standing on the back steps scooping snow up into a bowl.I felt happy there because I still believed we were on the yellow brick road going to Oz.

No comments: