Welcome to my blog

This is the story of my journey growing up in a family with all brothers who saw every raised platform as a stage. These guys kept me sane in the most difficult times in life. We had a bond that forms when children band together to make the best of a difficult situations. I loved them and they loved me. Together we pushed through the hardship and made it into adulthood, some more broken than others, but made it just the same with the help of God.

Friday, January 15, 2010

Bobby said it first.


Bobby is the funniest person I have ever known. He always said if he ever wrote a book he would title it The Stretch Marks of Life. Bobby died in 2007 so I decided to call my blog The Stretch Marks of life in honor of him.
Bobby was the only sister I ever had. He hated being my little sister because he was a boy. I use to dress him up and pretend he was my baby ( a girl of course ). When I was 4 yrs old I received a doll carriage for Christmas.I made Bobby ride in that thing, and when the bottom fell out I spanked him for breaking it. Mama spanked me and the garbage man hauled off the carriage. I never dressed Bobby up again.

I guess Bobby felt like life was always such a tug and pull. Our childhood was sometimes a real stretch for sanity. We moved about every 4 months. When I returned to school after the holidays the nuns would always ask me for our new address. I hadn't even told them I had moved yet! I remember this one house we lived in. The whole house was on a slant. I use to say you could put a ball in the kitchen and it would roll out the front door. But Bobby and I loved that house because there was large group of bamboo trees that grew on the red clay hill along side the house. We would play cowboys and Indians or war in those trees. When all of the adults were gone our older brother Jerry would act like Frankenstein and chase us all over the house scaring the living daylights out of us. Our little brother Chris fell out of the bedroom window at that house. Mama had the crib pushed up next to the window. It was the coolest place to be in the summer time. I guess she didn't realize that Chris would eventually get big enough to try to climb out. He did. Lucky for him he landed in some bushes next to the house. We kept hearing him cry and finally figured out he was outside...in the bushes.

No comments: