Welcome to my blog

This is the story of my journey growing up in a family with all brothers who saw every raised platform as a stage. These guys kept me sane in the most difficult times in life. We had a bond that forms when children band together to make the best of a difficult situations. I loved them and they loved me. Together we pushed through the hardship and made it into adulthood, some more broken than others, but made it just the same with the help of God.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Metz Drive

Sorry I haven't posted anything in quite some time. I just wanted to let you know that I am not done yet. I am not sure exactly where to start again. I could tell the story about Rusty running away from home when he was 4 yrs old. He told Grandmother he was running away and she said, "go ahead", and he did. Hours passed and everyone started getting scared because we could not find Rusty.
We were living in North Augusta at the time and mom was working at Borden's Dairy. I learned to ride a bike at that house. Actually it was a duplex apartment on Metz Drive. The place is still there. I think it was Jerry's bike and he showed me how to ride. About a mile or so from our house there was a community pool. Grandmother would let us walk to and from the pool by ourselves.Jerry and Larry would dive off the diving board and I wanted to do whatever they did. I came very close to drowning in that pool. I remember the lifeguard grabbing me by the hair and pulling me out of the water. I saw my brothers jumping off the diving board so I thought if they could do it so could I. I remember feeling totally mortified that a life guard pulled me out. Larry told me to stay in the shallow water. I was not allowed to come into the deep end. He was not happy with me. Again, being the oldest child he felt responsible for me but I was angry with him and the life guard.
Anyway, back to Rusty. Rusty had a bad habit of disappearing only to be found asleep somewhere. I think everyone thought he was under some table or bed sound asleep. However, he was no where to be found in the house. As dark was falling over the neighborhood everyone started looking for him. All the neighbors and the police. Eventually Rusty was found. Poor little thing, he was about a quarter of a mile away locked in the back yard of some neighbor who was out of town. There was a swing set in their yard so he went through the gate into the yard to play. It was a privacy fence and when the gate closed Rusty couldn't reach the latch to let himself out, and no one could see him. Evidently the gate was left open and he spied the swings and that's how he ended up locked in someones yard for hours. Needless to say Rusty learned his lesson and never ran away again.....except one other time, but that's another story.

No comments: